Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanently delete dropped table (Unity Catalog)

scrimpton
New Contributor II

The recommendation before dropping a table is to do a DELETE then VACUUM RETENTION 0 (recommended in DEV).

If you DROP the table without doing a DELETE|VACUUM, your table will be soft deleted with your entire data (permanently deletedin 30 days) and you cannot do a VACUUM anymore.

In such cases, can I safely delete those soft deleted table folders straight from my storage given that these tables will not be used anymore? I want to do a cleanup in my storage and save cost.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @scrimptonyou can manually delete the soft-deleted table folders from your storage. When you drop a table, only the metadata is removed immediately. The underlying data is deleted asynchronously, and it is permanently deleted after 30 days (known as GDPR deletion). However, if you need to clean up your storage and save costs, you can manually delete the data file stored in the table's path.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @scrimptonyou can manually delete the soft-deleted table folders from your storage. When you drop a table, only the metadata is removed immediately. The underlying data is deleted asynchronously, and it is permanently deleted after 30 days (known as GDPR deletion). However, if you need to clean up your storage and save costs, you can manually delete the data file stored in the table's path.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.