cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query parameters in dashboardsQueries can optionally leverage parameters or static values. When a visualization based on a parameterized query is adde...

Priyag1
Honored Contributor II

Query parameters in dashboards

• Queries can optionally leverage parameters or static values.
  • When a visualization based on a parameterized query is added to a dashboard, the visualization can either be configured to use a:

Widget parameter

• Widget parameters are specific to a single visualization within a dashboard, appear within the visualization panel, and the parameter values specified apply only to the query underlying the visualization.

Dashboard parameter

• Dashboard parameters can apply to multiple visualizations. When you add a visualization based on a parameterized query to a dashboard, by default the parameter will be added as a dashboard parameter. A dashboard can have multiple dashboard parameters, each of which may apply to some visualizations and not to other visualizations.

Static value

• Static values are used in lieu of a parameter that responds to changes. Static values allow you to hard code a value in place of a parameter and will make the parameter “disappear” from the dashboard or widget where it previously appeared.

2 REPLIES 2

samhita
New Contributor III

good info

Natalie_NL
New Contributor II

Hi, I build a dashboard with dashboard parameters, it works pretty easy!

The advantage of dashboard parameters is that you do not have to set a default (it can be: all). This is convenient when you need to filter on values that change every time the query is run. However, my query-output can be long. The table has a warning that only xx rows are displayed.

It seems that values that certainly exist in the query output, show 'no data' when trying to select them in the parameter box. I suspect that only the 'displayed rows' deliver the values for the parameter. Is this correct?

I can think of two ways to avoid:

* reduce the number of selected rows. This requires prior knowledge, which I not always have

* use a query parameter instead of a dashboard parameter, but this one needs an explicit default value.

Does anyone have a hint on this one?

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group