Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query parameters in dashboardsQueries can optionally leverage parameters or static values. When a visualization based on a parameterized query is adde...

Priyag1
Honored Contributor II

Query parameters in dashboards

• Queries can optionally leverage parameters or static values.
  • When a visualization based on a parameterized query is added to a dashboard, the visualization can either be configured to use a:

Widget parameter

• Widget parameters are specific to a single visualization within a dashboard, appear within the visualization panel, and the parameter values specified apply only to the query underlying the visualization.

Dashboard parameter

• Dashboard parameters can apply to multiple visualizations. When you add a visualization based on a parameterized query to a dashboard, by default the parameter will be added as a dashboard parameter. A dashboard can have multiple dashboard parameters, each of which may apply to some visualizations and not to other visualizations.

Static value

• Static values are used in lieu of a parameter that responds to changes. Static values allow you to hard code a value in place of a parameter and will make the parameter “disappear” from the dashboard or widget where it previously appeared.

2 REPLIES 2

samhita
New Contributor III

good info

Natalie_NL
New Contributor II

Hi, I build a dashboard with dashboard parameters, it works pretty easy!

The advantage of dashboard parameters is that you do not have to set a default (it can be: all). This is convenient when you need to filter on values that change every time the query is run. However, my query-output can be long. The table has a warning that only xx rows are displayed.

It seems that values that certainly exist in the query output, show 'no data' when trying to select them in the parameter box. I suspect that only the 'displayed rows' deliver the values for the parameter. Is this correct?

I can think of two ways to avoid:

* reduce the number of selected rows. This requires prior knowledge, which I not always have

* use a query parameter instead of a dashboard parameter, but this one needs an explicit default value.

Does anyone have a hint on this one?

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.