cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Row_Num function in spark-sql

Hemant
Valued Contributor II

I have a doubt row_num with order by in spark-sql gives different result(non-deterministic output) every time i execute it?

โ€‹

It's due to parallelism in spark ?โ€‹

โ€‹

Any approach how to takle it?

โ€‹

I order by with a date column and a integer column and take minimum row_num in the further down stream process.

Hemant Soni
2 REPLIES 2

shan_chandra
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Hemant Kumarโ€‹ - could you please try to coalesce to a single partition in order to generate continuous output?

Tharun-Kumar
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Hemant 

If the order by clause provided yields a unique result, then we would get deterministic output. 

For ex:

If we create a rowID for this dataset, with CustomerID used in OrderBy clause, then depending upon the runtime, we may get non-deterministic output for CustomerID 100, because any record may get picked up for Row Number 1.

CustomerIDSalesIDOrderDateTime
1009002023-07-08 10:00:00
1009012023-07-09 10:00:00
1019022023-07-09 10:00:00

In cases like this, it is recommended to use a column to define the ordering in a deterministic way. The usage of OrderDateTime column in the OrderBy clause will help us to achieve a deterministic output.

The same is also documented in the official documentation - https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/functions/row_number.html#:~:text=If%20the%20order%2....

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!