cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create SQL Warehouse using AZURE DATABRICKS Subscription

db-avengers2rul
Contributor II

Dear Team,

I am unable to create a SQL Warehouse using AZURE Databricks subscription , below are the details

i am able to create a cluster with single node ,but i am not able to create SQL Warehouse , i am using Cluster size - 2X Small , as part of the process i have raised a support ticket with microsoft , ideally i am practising Databricks SQL using AZURE Databricks , below is the response

any alternate solution ( please note i have also tried setting up AWS account seems having more issues , GCP i have another issue DBFS REST API is not enabled for this workspace , so i would like to stay with AZURE Databricks only)

response from microsoft support 

can some one clarify me , can i still able to use sql commands by just creating a notebook in SQL / create a note book in python and switch using %sql magic commands and test all the queries , what is the disadvantage / missing feature if i don't have SQL Warehouse up and running

any suggestions will i be still able to practice SQL ?

Regards,

Rakesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

In portal.azure.com, write quotas and ask for an increase. https://portal.azure.com/#view/Microsoft_Azure_Capacity/QuotaMenuBlade/~/myQuotas

Additionally, in SQL warehouse "Advanced options," you can change "Spot instance policy" from "cost-optimized" to "Reliability optimized".

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

In portal.azure.com, write quotas and ask for an increase. https://portal.azure.com/#view/Microsoft_Azure_Capacity/QuotaMenuBlade/~/myQuotas

Additionally, in SQL warehouse "Advanced options," you can change "Spot instance policy" from "cost-optimized" to "Reliability optimized".

@Hubert Dudek​  Many thanks for the suggestions , i was able to create SQL Warehouse finally ️ using AZ DB small 2X

one questions even though choosing cluster size to 2X SMALL with "Spot instance policy" = "Reliability optimized" will there be any cost impacts , just curious to know before testing it ?

Regards,

Rakesh

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

It will use on-demand instances. Spots are up to 2 times cheaper, depends on availability. If it works ok and your limits are updated, better just change to cost-optimized to save costs. Companies are using it in production as well.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.