cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload file from local file system to DBFS (2024)

Mehdi-LAMRANI
New Contributor II

Recent changes to the worskpace UI (and introduction of Unity Catalog) seem to have discretely sunset the ability to upload data directly to DBFS from the local Filesystem using the UI (NOT the CLI)

I want to be able to load a raw file (no matter the format) and preprocess it through python to be able to *then only* load it into a table or dataframe (it could litteraly be "anything"). All references I can find on the forum and on the internet do not work anymore (Except CLI)

Why such a limitation was "silently" introduced ? I may be blind, but I seem to not to be able to find anything about it in the documentation anymore, it seem to have just vanished into thin air.

Is there still a way to upload a file no matter the format to DBFS ? (or else, I just want to be able to access it programmatically)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mhiltner
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Have you tried using Volumes?  

https://docs.databricks.com/en/connect/unity-catalog/volumes.html 
You can do it through the UI, on the Catalog Explorer > Add Data button. 

Also, you could double check if your workspace admin has disabled DBFS access, because you should still be seeing it on your catalog explorer (a button called "Browse DBFS"). It should be enabled, like this. (Settings > Advanced > Other)

mhiltner_0-1716571617124.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mhiltner
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Have you tried using Volumes?  

https://docs.databricks.com/en/connect/unity-catalog/volumes.html 
You can do it through the UI, on the Catalog Explorer > Add Data button. 

Also, you could double check if your workspace admin has disabled DBFS access, because you should still be seeing it on your catalog explorer (a button called "Browse DBFS"). It should be enabled, like this. (Settings > Advanced > Other)

mhiltner_0-1716571617124.png

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!