cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I still see delta history if I made a vacuum with just 5 hours retention

chevichenk
New Contributor II

Hi, everyone!

I execute a vacuum with 5 hours retention but I can see all the history of versions, even I can query those older version of the table.

Plus, when I see the history version, it doesn't start with zero (supposed to be the creation of the table), so, if making vacuum with few hours of retention doesn't clear the history version, how can this happen? ‌‌🤔

Before vacuum, oldest version starts in 30 and ends in 83

chevichenk_1-1699661687787.png

After vacuum, oldest version starts in 30 and ends in 85 (start and end vacuum) version zero must be the creation of the table

Thanks for your attention! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rom
New Contributor III

Hi,
When disk caching is enabled, a cluster might contain data from Parquet files that have been deleted with VACUUM. Therefore, it may be possible to query the data of previous table versions whose files have been deleted. Restarting the cluster will remove the cached data. https://docs.databricks.com/en/delta/vacuum.html

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Rom
New Contributor III

Hi,
When disk caching is enabled, a cluster might contain data from Parquet files that have been deleted with VACUUM. Therefore, it may be possible to query the data of previous table versions whose files have been deleted. Restarting the cluster will remove the cached data. https://docs.databricks.com/en/delta/vacuum.html

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.