cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflows "Run now with different parameters" UI proposal

pygreg
New Contributor

Hello everyone!

I've been working with the Databricks platform for a few months now and I have a suggestion/proposal regarding the UI interface of Workflows.

First, let me explain what I find not so ideal.

Let's say we have a job with three Notebook Tasks:

- Task1 has parameters "yyyymm", "model_name", and another parameter "other_param";
- Task2 has parameters "yyyymm", "model_name", and another parameter "other_param_2";
- Task3 has other parameters with names that are not relevant to this discussion.

Currently, when you try to run this job with different parameters by clicking "Run now with different parameters", a screen appears that unifies parameters with the same names across the various tasks (yyyymm, model_name, other_param, other_param_2, params of Task3). This means you can't choose which parameters with the same name you want to specify a shared value for and which ones should have different default values.

I would propose a user interface similar to what I have attempted to replicate in the attached images.
For each task, there's a tab with its parameters.
There's a "Common" tab that shows which parameters are shared among the various tasks.
Inside the "Common" tab, you can choose which parameters share a common value (yyyymm) and which ones take on the values specified in the specific task tabs (model_name).

Feel free to share your thoughts – whether it's something worth appreciating or if I'm simply talking nonsense.

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @pygreg , If you want a new feature to be added here, you can request the feature here at this link.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!