cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External locations

Snoonan
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am getting an error when I try to 'Browse' an external location in catalog explorer through Databricks UI.

This is the error I get:

Error loading files.
Input path url 'abfss://dbx-ccc-hive-metastore-unity-catalog@xxxxxxxxxx.dfs.core.windows.net/__unitystorage' overlaps with managed storage within 'ListFiles' call

Has anyone seen this error before and/or understands what is going wrong?

Thanks,
Sean
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

NandiniN
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hi Sean,

This is expected for a managed path, as a user, we are not supposed to directly access paths that are managed by UC.

Hope you are able to access this KB with detailed info - https://kb.databricks.com/unity-catalog/invalid_parameter_valuelocation_overlap-overlaps-with-manage...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

Snoonan
New Contributor III

Hi @NandiniN ,

Thank you for quashing my concerns.

Thanks,

Sean

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NandiniN
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hi Sean,

This is expected for a managed path, as a user, we are not supposed to directly access paths that are managed by UC.

Hope you are able to access this KB with detailed info - https://kb.databricks.com/unity-catalog/invalid_parameter_valuelocation_overlap-overlaps-with-manage...

Thanks!

Snoonan
New Contributor III

Hi @NandiniN ,

Thank you for quashing my concerns.

Thanks,

Sean

gmiguel
Contributor

Adding some tips...
It seems that you have created a metastore with root path definition (metastore-level managed storage). If you're planning to deploy a multi-workspace environment (Development, QA and Production), I strongly recommend you to change this configuration to Catalog-level storage. 

Since in general those kind of environments should be isolated, you will have tough days as soon as it gets bigger when using metastore-level storage.

Snoonan
New Contributor III

Hi @gmiguel ,

Thank you for the advice.

Is this a setting when creating the metastore, or do I simply not specify an external location for metastore and only do so for catalogs?

Thanks,

Sean

Simply do not specify a location during metastore creation. Do it at catalog level and schema level (optional).