cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Governance
Join discussions on data governance practices, compliance, and security within the Databricks Community. Exchange strategies and insights to ensure data integrity and regulatory compliance.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Transfer Hive Metastore from One Workspace to Another

jv_v
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I need to transfer tables present in the Hive metastore from one workspace to another. My ultimate goal is to migrate these tables to Unity Catalog. I already have a code that will handle the migration to Unity Catalog, but I need help with the steps to copy the tables to the new workspace first.

Could someone guide me through the process? 

2 REPLIES 2

Giri-Patcham
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi @jv_v ,

What is the purpose of transferring tables from Hive metastore from one workspace to another ?
Can you just transfer from Hive metastore to Unity Catalog in the existing workspace and use that Unity Catalog metastore with another workspace ?

Thanks

jacovangelder
Contributor III

Important here is where your data resides. On DBFS or in external storage? if the latter, just use storage mounts to get the data into the new workspace. If DBFS, consider moving the delta tables out of DBFS so you can access it in the new workspace. 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!