cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Access RDS Postgres DB via SSH Tunnel

kashy
New Contributor III

Hello, 

How can I configure a foreign catalog connection to use SSH tunneling? I want to be able to use unity catalog

6 REPLIES 6

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kashy , Could you please file a support ticket with us?

kashy
New Contributor III

I cannot seem to get the link to raise a support ticket - just diverts me back here!

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, in addition to our previous message, you can try https://docs.databricks.com/en/query-federation/foreign-catalogs.html and https://grant-6562.medium.com/connecting-to-sql-server-through-an-ssh-tunnel-with-python-17de859caca....

Also please tag @Debayanโ€‹ with your next response which will notify me, Thank you!

kashy
New Contributor III

thanks @Debayan that might work for a JDBC connection but I want to use in a foreign connection with unity catalog which this would not work with

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi , 

You work with foreign catalogs in the same way that you work with any catalog managed by Unity Catalog:

• View information about a foreign catalog: see View catalog details.

In addition to the information that is displayed for standard Unity Catalog catalogs, Catalog Explorer also displays the Connection used by the foreign catalog and the external database or catalog that is mirrored by the foreign catalog.

• Run read-only queries on tables in foreign catalogs: see Query data.

When you write queries in Databricks, you must use Apache Spark data types. For a mapping of Spark data types to your external database data types, see the article for your connection type, listed in the table of contents in the left navigation pane of this documentation site.

• Grant read-only access to data in foreign catalogs: see Manage privileges in Unity Catalog.

kashy
New Contributor III

Hi @Debayan the issue is the lack of support for ssh tunnels - there is no configuration for these on foreign catalog connections