cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use Partner Connect to FiveTran

Jvonmolt
New Contributor II
  • Brand new Databricks account, Workspace (Premium tier)
  • New SQL Warehouse (Small, Pro)
  • Brand new FiveTran trial

I can't seem to use Partner Connect to connect to FiveTran in my trial. It appeared to work at first, and after attempting to sync with Stripe for many hours, it came back "destination broken". Now, the destination is totally bricked. After removing the destination, the Partner Connect connection in Databricks, and even a new SQL Warehouse, I get the same error every time after a long "checking configuration" step in FiveTran.

It looks like a security/permissions issue, but I'm using Partner Connect so all the information is prepopulated. Both FiveTran and Databricks highly recommend using this method, and I'm in a totally new account. Any idea how I can get connected?

Check cluster configuration: 
Failed to read Databricks cluster/SQL Endpoint information.
Error: The action failed after 4 attempt(s), the failures were:
1) java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.sql.SQLException:
[Databricks][DatabricksJDBCDriver](500593) Communication link failure. Failed to connect to server. Reason: HTTP Response code: 403, Error message: Unknown. 

3 REPLIES 3

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

The error message states that the HTTP response code is 403, which typically indicates a permissions issue.

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Check that the Databricks cluster and SQL endpoint information is correct. You can do this by going to the Databricks workspace and checking the cluster and SQL endpoint configuration.

2. Check that the Databricks cluster has the correct permissions. Specifically, the cluster should have the "Can attach to" permission for the SQL endpoint. You can check this by going to the SQL endpoint configuration and checking the permissions.

3. Check that the Databricks workspace has the correct permissions. Specifically, the workspace should have the "Contributor" role for the SQL endpoint. You can check this by going to the SQL endpoint configuration and checking the access control.

4. Check that the firewall settings are correct. Specifically, the firewall should allow traffic from the FiveTran IP addresses. You can check the firewall settings and the IP address settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jvonmolt 

Hope you are well. Just wanted to see if you were able to find an answer to your question and would you like to mark an answer as best? It would be really helpful for the other members too.

Cheers!

Jvonmolt
New Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous ,

So far, I haven't been able to get it to work. However, I really appreciate @Prabakar's answer and your follow-up. 

I'm still interpreting @Prabakar's wise advice; however, I think it mostly doesn't apply to this situation, as I'm using a brand new instance through Partner Connect, which defaults to per-user connections. Since the token is generated by Databricks and is a Personal Access Token, there is no "Can attach to", "Contributor" role, or firewall settings that I can see. As the primary admin user on the Workspace, I have all the permissions -- and FiveTran is (theoretically) is using my account directly through the Personal Access Token. 

I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious here, as this account is entirely fresh out of the box. It may be that I need to set up the connection from FiveTran manually, by following the guide and creating a Service Principal manually. But I would love any guidance you might have so that I can use Partner Connect. 🙂