cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

databricks job compute price w.r.t running time

Raja_fawadAhmed
New Contributor

I have two workflows (jobs) in data bricks (AWS) with below cluster specs (job base cluster NOT general purpose)

Driver: i3.xlarge · Workers: i3.xlarge · 2-8 workers 

Job 1 takes 10 min to complete

Job 2 takes 50 min to complete

Questions:

DBU cost is same for both the jobs ?

Would the cost reduce if i combine both jobs to one job (merge code and run it as one job) ?

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

1. DBU Cost for Both Jobs:

• Databricks pricing is based on DBUs (Databricks Units) consumed. The cost depends on the type of compute instances used and the specific workload.
    • For your two jobs, the DBU cost would be calculated separately based on their resource consumption.
    • To provide an accurate comparison, we need to know the specific DBU rates for each job. These rates can vary based on factors like instance type and workload type.
    • If you have the DBU rates for both jobs, we can calculate the cost individually.
  2. Combining Jobs:

• Combining both jobs into a single job might impact the cost, but it depends on several factors:
      • Overhead: Combining jobs reduces the overhead of starting and stopping clusters, which can be cost-effective.
      • Cluster Configuration: If both jobs have similar resource requirements, merging them could lead to better cluster utilization.
      • Concurrency: If the jobs run concurrently, combining them may not reduce costs significantly.
      • DBU Efficiency: Consider whether the combined job can utilize resources more efficiently than running them separately.
    • Photon Engine: Databricks offers a Photon Engine for massively parallel processing, which can optimize DBU usage. If your workload supports it, using Photon might reduce costs.
    • Pricing Calculator: You can use Databricks’ Pricing Calculator to estimate costs based on your specific scenario.
  3. Recommendation:

• Compare the DBU costs for both jobs individually and then evaluate the impact of combining them.
    • If the combined job can utilize resources efficiently and reduce overhead, merging might be cost-effective.
    • Always consider workload characteristics, concurrency, and resource utilization when making decisions.

Remember that Databricks provides flexibility, so you can adjust your approach based on your specifi...12.

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!