cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hive_metastore Access Control by different cluster type

DeltaTrain
New Contributor II

Hello Databricks Community,

I'm reaching out with a query regarding access control in the hive_metastore. I've encountered behavior that I'd like to understand better and potentially address.

To illustrate the situation:

• I've set up three users for testing purposes: admin, dataengineer1, and dataanalyst1.
  • The admin user granted permissions to dataengineer1 for three specific tables: circuits, country_regions, and results.

Case 1: When using SQL Warehouse (as seen in the screenshot, labeled as serverless-sql-wh) or a Cluster with shared Access mode, dataengineer1 can only view the tables they have permissions for. This is the expected behavior.

DeltaTrain_0-1691616911858.png

Case 2: However, when a Single User Access mode cluster is activated (in the screenshot, labeled as dataengineer1@d...), dataengineer1 can view all schemas and tables. This is not the desired behavior.

DeltaTrain_1-1691617650542.png

I'm hoping to find a solution that ensures even in Single User Access Mode, users can only access Schemas and Tables for which they have permission.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I value the expertise of this community and look forward to your responses.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, could you please elaborate on the permissions on the cluster and who has deployed it? Also, please refer to the limitations here: https://docs.databricks.com/en/clusters/configure.html#assigned-limitations

Please tag @Debayan with your next comment, which will get me notified. Thanks!

DeltaTrain
New Contributor II

Hi @Debayan, thank you for your reply.  

with hive_metastore, still I cannot get the level of isolation, which means that if anyone activates the Single node cluster, she/he can see all the catalog, schema, and table. 

However, with Unity catalog application, I can get the level of isolation that I want. So rather than trying to find any solution with hive_metastore, I will switch to Unity Catalog application. 

thanks!

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, Thanks for your confirmation. Yes, that would be better. 

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!