cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Knowledge Sharing Hub
Dive into a collaborative space where members like YOU can exchange knowledge, tips, and best practices. Join the conversation today and unlock a wealth of collective wisdom to enhance your experience and drive success.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From Associate to Professional: My Learning Plan to ace all Databricks Data Engineer Certifications

SumitSingh
Contributor

In todayโ€™s data-driven world, the role of a data engineer is critical in designing and maintaining the infrastructure that allows for the efficient collection, storage, and analysis of large volumes of data. Databricks certifications holds significant value in the field of data engineering. In this blog post, we will explore what it takes to achieve the associate level Databricks certifications and finally become a Databricks Certified Data Engineer Professional.

Why am I writing this blog?

Driven by a passion for learning, I immersed myself in online resources to enhance my expertise in data engineering. Now, as an experienced Databricks Certified Professional, I am motivated to contribute to the wider community.

SumitSingh_0-1721402402230.png

Exam overview โ€” Must Read โ€” Databricks Certified Data Engineer Professional | Databricks

Tailoring your learning path to suit your unique background and expertise is key when pursuing Databricks certifications. Despite my extensive 10+year tenure in Data Engineering and 4 years of hands-on experience with Databricks, I opted for a beginner-friendly approach to simplify the learning curve for aspiring professionals.

Step 1 โ€” Python Fundamentals

There are plenty of resources available online to learn and practice Python. Databricks academy provides one such course for beginners.

Do this โ€” Introduction-to-python-for-data-science-and-data-engineering

Or this โ€” Just Enough Python for Apache Spark

Practice โ€” Welcome to Python.org

Ensure to do hands-on using lab exercises.

SumitSingh_1-1721402448677.png

Step 2 โ€” Lakehouse Fundamentals

Do this โ€” Fundamentals of the Databricks Lakehouse Platform

Read this โ€” What is a data lakehouse? | Databricks on AWS

And this โ€” What is Delta Lake? | Databricks on AWS

At this stage, you should test your knowledge on the concepts you just learned and earn a certificate at the same time ๐Ÿ™‚

Accreditation Exam โ€” Fundamentals of the Databricks Lakehouse Platform Accreditation

Step 3 โ€” Databricks Certified Associate Developer for Apache Spark

Do this โ€” Introduction to Apache Spark Architecture

At this step, you can also go deep to become Databricks Certified Associate Developer for Apache Spark | Databricks. And for that, below course from Databricks Academy is all you need.

Do this โ€” Apache Sparkโ„ข Programming with Databricks

And this โ€” Optimizing Apache Spark on Databricks

Ensure to do hands-on using lab exercises.

Great tool โ€” Spark UI Simulator

Free Mock test โ€” Practice Exam โ€” Databricks Certified Associate Developer for Apache Spark 3.0 โ€” Python

Databricks provide Apache Spark guide during the exam so you donโ€™t need to memorize all the syntaxes.

This accreditation is the first in Databricks Data Engineer learning plan.

My target was not just to pass the exam but to ace it. And for that, I ensured to get minimum 90% in my practice tests before appearing for the main exam. This strategy has helped me to score more than 95% in actual exams.

Step 4 โ€” Databricks certified Data Engineer Associate

I highly recommend giving Associate level certification before appearing for the professional one, though itโ€™s not mandatory.

Exam Guide: Databricks Certified Data Engineer Associate | Databricks

Databricks Academy offers below course which is quite comprehensive (~12 hours) and prepares well for real world applications of Databricks Lakehouse platform.

This โ€” Data Engineering with Databricks

Free Mock test โ€” PracticeExam-DataEngineerAssociate (databricks.com)

SumitSingh_2-1721402469214.png

Step 5 โ€” Databricks certified Data Engineer Professional

Now if you have followed all the above points, you are prepared for the final step to become certified professional.

Databricks Academy offers below course for free to learn advanced topics and prepare for the certification as well.

Do this โ€” Advanced Data Engineering with Databricks

There were 64 questions in the exam to be completed in 2 hours. 4 questions do not contribute to your exam score, but you wouldnโ€™t know which questions are those.  Also, most of the questions were very lengthy making it crucial to strategize effectively.

Final Tips

• First, be comfortable with being uncomfortable.
  • Enjoy the journey and do not focus too much on outcome.
  • Schedule your exam well in advance. This will keep you focused.
  • Develop a study plan and set milestones to track your progress.
  • Do hands-on practice as much as possible.
  • I canโ€™t stress enough on the importance of Mock tests. In the mock test, if you select the right choice, understand why the other choices were wrong and vice-versa.

Finally, all the best for your certification ๐Ÿ™‚ And if this blog helped you, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn and let me know your feedback.  

cc @Sujitha 

Regards,
Sumit Singh
3 REPLIES 3

der_stoic
New Contributor II

Thanks for this. Just getting started on Databricks and I'm going to try and follow this instead of breaking my head to figure out a learning path!

Sujitha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Glad you find Sumit's post helpful! Here's Databricks Learning path if you would like to get started!

Sujitha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congratulations, Sumit! This is brilliant. 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group