cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Knowledge Sharing Hub
Dive into a collaborative space where members like YOU can exchange knowledge, tips, and best practices. Join the conversation today and unlock a wealth of collective wisdom to enhance your experience and drive success.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Writing append blob files to unity catalog volum

Thusharr
New Contributor II

The workspace is assigned to unity catalog, and all the access to the ADLS Gen2 is now handled via unity catalog only, means no SPN, no connection string, access keys etc. I have to create append blob files in a volume, Is this is possible in a workspace where unity catalog is enabled?

5 REPLIES 5

gchandra
Valued Contributor II

As long as you have necessary access to the catalog/schema / volume you should be able to write data to a Volume.

~

Thusharr
New Contributor II

I have access and I can write the files from a databrciks notebook to the volumes, but my ask is how can I create an append blob file? Earlier (before unity catalog) we used the libraries like azure-identity and azure-storage-blob but which is using the SPN and secrtes. But the usage of SPN is denied in by business case after the unity catalog.

Witold
Contributor III

It makes sense that you learn how the security model of Unity Catalog works, including long-term storage credentials, external locations, etc: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/data-governance/unity-catalog/#other-securable-ob...

Thusharr
New Contributor II

I didn't get you, sorry. My question is simple, I need to create an append blob file where the Unity catalog is enabled. This was possible earlier, but now it is not working.

Witold
Contributor III

Now I got your point. No, you can't create Append Blob files directly in Volumes, as this is a native Azure functionality. A volume is basically just an abstraction over a native storage.

You will still need to use libraries like azure-storage-blob with a proper authentication to your storage.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group