cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Machine Learning
Dive into the world of machine learning on the Databricks platform. Explore discussions on algorithms, model training, deployment, and more. Connect with ML enthusiasts and experts.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AssertionError Failed to create the catalog

Lcsp
New Contributor

getting this error when trying to setup the get-started-with-databricks-for-machine-learning  LAB . Unity catalog is enabled. 

Validating the locally installed datasets: | listing local files...(0 seconds) | validation completed...(0 seconds total) Creating & using the catalog "........._da"
AssertionError: Failed to create the catalog "...._da". Please see the "Troubleshooting | Cannot Create Catalog" section of the "Version Info" notebook for more information.
4 REPLIES 4

PL_db
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

It looks like you don't have the CREATE CATALOG privilege on the metastore you're trying to create the catalog in:

Privilege types by securable object in Unity Catalog 

SalP
New Contributor II

Did you ever get this solved? I'm seeing the same issue.

SalP
New Contributor II

In particular: the error message refers to a troubleshooting notebook, which in turn refers out to a document https://files.training.databricks.com/static/troubleshooting.html#cannot-create-catalog, which at this moment just says "Coming Soon".  ????

SalP
New Contributor II

EDIT: I found the issue in my Databricks metastore was that it did not have a default storage location set. The academy setup scripts don't explicitly set MANAGED LOCATION and therefore without a default location it fails.

I tried to establish a default storage location on my existing metastore but it didn't work for some reason - silently failed, not sure where to look for logs or error messages. But, I confirmed this was the issue because I set up a new metastore (in a different region) and a new workspace, and at metastore creation time I set a default S3 bucket, and then - voila - CREATE CATALOG worked fine without specifying managed location.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group