cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Machine Learning
Dive into the world of machine learning on the Databricks platform. Explore discussions on algorithms, model training, deployment, and more. Connect with ML enthusiasts and experts.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why java is no included in notebooks

db-avengers2rul
Contributor II

Hi All,

is there any way to use java in notebook ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Java isn't really a language that is built for interaction and there is no notebook kernel for it. You can add a JAR to a workspace and run it, but not a notebook.

A notebook can have scala. You can make it the default language of the notebook or put %scala at the top of the cell.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

db-avengers2rul
Contributor II

i mean adding jars and practice scala inside the notebook ?

how to import jars in notebook ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Java isn't really a language that is built for interaction and there is no notebook kernel for it. You can add a JAR to a workspace and run it, but not a notebook.

A notebook can have scala. You can make it the default language of the notebook or put %scala at the top of the cell.

AyanDutta
New Contributor II

Java 9 onwards there is a good support on REPL .I really find it hard to understand why still Java notebooks are not supported yet .

Meghala
Valued Contributor II

Thank you for this ansโ€‹

labtech
Valued Contributor II

From my understand, Java isn't a built-in language for notebook.

Aviral-Bhardwaj
Esteemed Contributor III

yes spark-submit in jar will work,it is available in the jobs/workflow section in the databricks

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!