Warehousing & Analytics
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculated Field in Dashboards

SimonMcCor
New Contributor

Is there a way to create a calculated field in a dashboard from the data that has been put into it?

I have an aggregated dataset that goes into a dashboard, but using an average in the calculation will only work if I display the average by the grouped variables. e.g. Avg(Thing), grouped by X,Y will only be useful if I display it by X and Y at the same time.

If instead of average, I could use count() and sum() that could be used to calculate an average field in the dashboard, then I could use any filters on that dashboard and still get correct results. Is there an easy way to do this? And if not, how do I go about doing a feature request!

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SimonMcCor , Yes, you can create a calculated field in a dashboard from the data that has been put into it. In Databricks, you can perform this operation within the notebook that feeds data into your dashboard.

If you want to request a new feature, you can contact Databricks support or post your suggestion in the Databricks community as well as https://help.databricks.com/s/.

New Contributor III

Hi Kaniz,
For SQL dashboards how would you approach this? Given the example above every 'new calculation' added would require computation across the dataset again which re-runs the query (which can take a few minutes for some of the datasets we have). Is there a better approach than this? 

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.