cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to migrate Legacy Dashboard from one workspace to another workspace?

Anonymous3
New Contributor

Is it possible to migrate Databricks Legacy Dashboards along with associated components such as queries and datasets from one workspace to another? I have attempted to export the Legacy Dashboards along with the queries and datasets, but upon importing, only the dashboards are being migrated, while the queries and datasets are not.

1 REPLY 1

holly
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Hello, to migrate between workspaces you'll need a different strategy based on the asset type

• Legacy dashboards you have completed, but for anyone reading you can use the 'export' functionality
  • Queries: you can either put them together in a folder and export the folder, or integrate with git to transfer between the workspaces
  • Data: There's multiple ways to do this, and depending on the size of your data and permissions, the approach will differ. Here's my recommendations in priority order:
    • If the tables are external tables (so saved in S3 or ADLS) you would point your new workspace to this data.
    • If the data is quite large, you could use delta sharing to transfer the data.
    • If the data is tiny, ie <1000 rows, you could download them locally and then upload them to the new workspace

If this is a regular movement, ie CI/CD from dev to prod, this could all be automated. In this case I'd highly recommend Unity Catalog to bypass the data transfer step. 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group