cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warehousing & Analytics
Engage in discussions on data warehousing, analytics, and BI solutions within the Databricks Community. Share insights, tips, and best practices for leveraging data for informed decision-making.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import warnings when running DBT as a package on Databricks 13.3LTS

nijhuist
New Contributor II

Executing dbt as a Python package triggers about 200 import warnings when ran on Databricks Runtime 13.3 but not on 12.2. The warnings are all the same: 

<frozen importlib._bootstrap>:914: ImportWarning: ImportHookFinder.find_spec() not found; falling back to find_module()

The warning does NOT popup when running the same python code locally either!
The warning also appear when installing dbt-core instead of dbt-databricks but since it only happens when running on Databricks clusters, I think it makes sense to post it here.

Since this 'Find_spec' warning is introduced in python 3.10, this explain why it doesn't show up on 12.2 but it does happen on 13.3.

Steps To Reproduce

Add a python file to your Databricks workspace and add this code. Run it on a Databricks cluster with 13.3LTS runtime (Shared or Single) and pre-install dbt-core 1.7.1 or dbt-databricks 1.7.1.

print("Starting")

from dbt.cli.main import dbtRunner

dbt = dbtRunner()

print("The End")

If you want to run the script a second time, you first need to 'detach & attach' otherwise the warnings won't show up.

As a workaround, I tried suppressing the warnings using 

warnings.filterwarnings(action="ignore", category=ImportWarning)

but this doesn't work. I can set the action to error (which does raise the warnings to exception) and capture it in a try...except but than the package is not imported (correctly).

So my question is: how to I get rid of these warnings?

Additional info

The original message come from this issue in dbt: [CT-2672] [Bug] Cannot import name 'Unpack' from 'typing_extensions' (dbt-core 1.5.1) · Issue #7828 .... In one of the last remarks in this thread, tlento from dbt concludes that it probably has to with the way the databricks runtime installs/clobbers its packages. That why I posted this here. Maybe there is a way to ensure the dbt package is installed after dbx runtime installed all of its packages?

I also posted the same thing in the dbt-databricks repo here: Import warnings when running DBT as a package on Databricks 13.3LTS · Issue #497 · databricks/dbt-da.... But unfortunately it got closed without looking into it. 

2 REPLIES 2

Kaniz_Fatma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @nijhuist , Note: These are potential approaches; please test them in your specific environment.

Feel free to explore these solutions, and I hope they help you mitigate those pesky warnings! 🚀

Hi Kaniz,

Thanks for your reply!

I have tested this with Runtime 13.1, 13.3 (LTS),  13.3 (LTS) ML, 14.0, 14.1 and 14.2. All with the same result. 

With 'notebook-scoped library installation' you mean doing something like this in the first cell, right? 

%pip install dbt-databricks==1.7.1

I had to add a second cell with this to prevent an error:

dbutils.library.restartPython()

This second cell solved the error but the warnings are still there. Without the second cell I got the warnings as well by the way but than it ended with an import error.

I also tried adding the '--ignore-installed' flag to pip install but got the same result.

Is this what you meant by 'notebook-scoped library installation' or is there some other approach I could try?

Regards,
Thijs

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you won’t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isn’t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group