- Mark as New
- Bookmark
- Subscribe
- Mute
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Permalink
- Report Inappropriate Content
Friday
I've been going back and forth with Databricks support for some time regarding serverless compute. None of my workspaces offer Serverless as a compute option; I only see Pro and Classic, despite my account and workspaces meeting the documented requirements for serverless.
I have a paid Premium individual account. I initially contacted help@databricks.com and was told that my account does not include a support plan, so I should post in the Databricks Community instead.
I then created a Community post explaining the issue and was told that this appears to be an account- or backend-level problem and that I should contact help@databricks.com.
I followed that advice and contacted help@databricks.com again, but they declined to assist because I do not have a support plan.
At this point, I'm stuck between support and the Community without a clear path to resolution. Could someone please look into my account and determine why Serverless is not enabled?
I use this account to test workloads before running similar workloads in a production environment, so access to Serverless is important for my testing.
Please do not refer me back to help@databricks.com, as they have already declined to assist me due to the lack of a support plan.
I've included a screenshot of the latest reply from help@databricks.com and the link to my community post is https://community.databricks.com/t5/data-engineering/serverless-capabilities-not-available-in-my-wor...
Please assist.
- Mark as New
- Bookmark
- Subscribe
- Mute
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Permalink
- Report Inappropriate Content
yesterday
Hi Jonathan,
You're in a loop that shouldn't exist, and I won't send you back to help@. A few things that may get you out of it.
1. Name the exact condition. The docs describe your situation almost word for word: "If an account has a granted postponement, serverless is not enabled by default and new workspaces in that account inherit the postponement status. You can request workspace-level enablement without enabling the entire account. Contact your Databricks account team to lift a postponement." The CLI error you got in the other thread ("Workspace ... is no longer eligible for Serverless Compute") matches an account-level flag, not anything in your workspace. Use the word "postponement" in every message from now on. It tells whoever reads it which internal setting to look at.
https://docs.databricks.com/aws/en/admin/sql/serverless
2. Reach the account team, not support. Support and the account team are different queues, and only the second one lifts a postponement. Pay-as-you-go accounts don't get a named rep, but the contact form routes to a team member who can open that door. Include your account ID, both workspace IDs, the CLI error, and the sentence from the docs above.
https://www.databricks.com/company/contact
3. Tag the community managers here. They escalate internally for individual accounts without a support contract, and they've done it before for enablement issues. A Databricks employee already diagnosed this as account-level in your other thread, so link that reply.
4. If you came through AWS Marketplace, AWS Marketplace support can open a case with the seller on your behalf. That's a separate path from help@ and it has worked for other people with Marketplace-originated accounts.
5. For your testing in the meantime: Free Edition workspaces are serverless-only, so if what you need is to validate serverless behavior before production, a Free Edition account gives you that today, within its quotas. Not a fix, but it unblocks the testing.
https://docs.databricks.com/aws/en/getting-started/free-edition-limitations
Please post what finally works. Others hit this same wall after converting from trial.
Principal Data Architect & AI Strategy — CI&T
thomazn@ciandt.com
linkedin.com/in/thomaz-antonio-rossito-neto
- Mark as New
- Bookmark
- Subscribe
- Mute
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Permalink
- Report Inappropriate Content
yesterday
Thank you @ThomazNeto
I have reached out to the account team per suggestion #2. Thank you so much, I'm hoping they can help resolve this matter.