cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unable to enforce schema on data read from jsonl file in Azure Databricks using pyspark

prabhu26
New Contributor

I'm tring to build a ETL pipeline in which I'm reading the jsonl files from the azure blob storage, then trying to transform and load it to delta tables in databricks. I have created the below schema for loading my data :

schema = StructType([
    StructField("restaurantId", IntegerType(), nullable=False),
    StructField("reviewId", IntegerType(), nullable=False),
    StructField("text", StringType(), nullable=False),
    StructField("rating", DoubleType(), nullable=False),
    StructField("publishedAt", TimestampType(), nullable=False),
    StructField("_corrupt_record", StringType(), nullable=True)
])

I'm reading the jsonl files from the below code :

df = spark.read \
    .option("mode", "PERMISSIVE") \
    .option("columnNameOfCorruptRecord", "_corrupt_record") \
    .schema(schema) \
    .json(raw_file_location).cache()

But I get no results from the below code :

display(df.select(col("_corrupt_record")).where(col("_corrupt_record").isNotNull()))

There are many column which are null in my raw data and these are inserted to the table as null and the _corrupt_record column is null for that case. Please let me know how to resolve this issue

My expectation is to see the corrupt record (the record which does not math the defined schema) populated for the failed records , for this I have also tried SQL queries to manully create the schema and load the data but still doesn't works

1 REPLY 1

DataEngineer
New Contributor II

Try this.

Add option("multiline","true")

Join 100K+ Data Experts: Register Now & Grow with Us!

Excited to expand your horizons with us? Click here to Register and begin your journey to success!

Already a member? Login and join your local regional user group! If there isn’t one near you, fill out this form and we’ll create one for you to join!