Options
- Mark as New
- Bookmark
- Subscribe
- Mute
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Permalink
- Report Inappropriate Content
08-15-2026 12:03 PM
I have ran into a few issues while learning how to use Custom Agents in Databricks Apps that I would like to call out - both to help others and hopefully motivate platform improvements.
- The only model that seems to work is databricks-meta-llama-3-3-70b-instruct, but I only found that out through a DataExpert.io YouTube video. It would be nice if the app templates would default to this or at least provide some guidance on the Free Edition limitations page.
- Recent changes to MCP have caused issues with the default OpenAI Agents SDK app template. You have to manually add "mcp<2.0.0" to the dependencies in pyproject.toml to get it up and running.
- The second message from the user starts to cause errors. I haven't figured out how to solve this, but it is something related to the format of the message chain. For example:
{
"detail": "Unhandled item type or structure: {'status': None, 'content': [{'text': \"Hello, it's nice to meet you. Is there something I can help you with or would you like to chat?\", 'type': 'output_text'}], 'role': 'assistant', 'type': 'message'}"
}
Labels:
- Labels:
-
Custom Agents
-
Databricks Free Edition