Unable to Connect to Oracle from Databricks UC Cluster (DBR 15.4) – ORA-12170 Timeout Error
Options
- Mark as New
- Bookmark
- Subscribe
- Mute
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Permalink
- Report Inappropriate Content
01-10-2026 09:01 PM
Hi all,
I’m trying to connect to an Oracle database from my Databricks UC cluster (DBR 15.4) using the ojdbc8.jar driver, which I’ve installed on the cluster. Here’s the code I’m using:
df = spark.read.format("jdbc")\
.option("url", jdbc_url)\
.option("dbtable", dbtable)\
.option("user", username)\
.option("password", password)\
.option("driver", "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver")\
.load()However, I’m getting this error:
SparkConnectGrpcException: (java.sql.SQLTimeoutException) ORA-12170: Cannot connect. TCP connect timeout of 15000ms for host [my_host] port [my_port].
What I’ve tried:
- Verified the JDBC driver is installed.
- Double-checked all connection parameters.
- I can connect to the same Oracle DB from my local machine using the same credentials.
Questions:
- Has anyone successfully connected to Oracle from a Databricks UC cluster?
- Are there specific network/firewall settings or configurations needed for this to work?
- Any tips on troubleshooting this timeout error from the Databricks side?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!