- Mark as New
- Bookmark
- Subscribe
- Mute
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Permalink
- Report Inappropriate Content
08-31-2022 02:34 AM
Hi Carsten,
in that case, maybe you could create multiple catalogues in the one metastore:
dev.source_system_name_1.table_1
dev.source_system_name_2.table_1
...
test.source_system_name_1.table_1
test.source_system_name_2.table_1
...
prod.source_system_name_1.table_1
prod.source_system_name_2.table_1
There is an interesting video from this year's summit: https://youtu.be/ibvG-pYKl8U?t=852
"that you are only allowed to have one UC per region" <-- I think this is recommended approach, but you should be able to create multiple metastores in one region. I think about testing this approach, to have DEV and PROD in the same region - different buckets. Another option could be creating DEV in a different region.
I think the limitation here with this approach is that you will have to create all the managed tables in only one bucket - assigned to the UC.
"since all data now is visible across workspaces." - this can be limited by creating multiple roles.
You can have dev-data-eng, test-data-eng, and prod-data-eng roles created at the account level then you bring only dev-data-eng into your dev workspace, and so on.
The limitation here is that super-user will still be able to access all the data unless you won't allow Unity Catalog admin access to the workspace (not sure if this is possible, I am checking this now).
I've got a bit confused about this and I've mixed both workspace account privileges and data privileges.