POC
Options
- Mark as New
- Bookmark
- Subscribe
- Mute
- Subscribe to RSS Feed
- Permalink
- Report Inappropriate Content
02-15-2024 10:26 AM
Hi,
I wonder if you could help me on the below please.
We tried Databricks Data Intelligence platform for one of our clients and found that its very expensive when compared to AWS EMR. I understand its not apple-apple comparision as one being platform and another being single software as a service.
We tried Databricks Data Intelligence platform for one of our clients and found that its very expensive when compared to AWS EMR. I understand its not apple-apple comparision as one being platform and another being single software as a service.
It is turning out to be expensive especially it is take quite longer than EMR especially for structured csv processing (point 2 below). I wonder if there is something obvious that I am missing out but its the same code base. I am using pyspark dataframe APIs for my POC to compare the timings and convert the timings into costs.Here is bit of context.
- Unstructured text data: A unstructured text file need to be read, parsed and process the data as per some requirements and write into two separate files. csv and text. This involved lot of shuffling and disk spill but however tests revealed that databricks either performed similar or better than EMR Especially for 1 TB file, with same configuration databricks is able to complete job successfully but not in EMR. Databricks looks good here.
- For structured csv files, I have written a sample code that reads csv , does some aggregations, joins back to the source csv. This pattern is repeated for several group by columns, this also involves some windowing aggregations. This is all mocked up logic, reading csv and writing back into csv in S3. For 225 GB - EMR finished in 40 mins whereas databricks finished in 1 hr 5 mins. For 1 TB - EMR finished 3 hrs and databricks 6 hrs. When I convert these into cost, databricks is turning out to be 2-4 costlier than EMR due to DBU costs. Photon was enabled, I was hoping that would decrease the processing times and complete the job quicker than EMR but still EMR finished quicker than Databricks.
Kindly let me know if there is anything that you could help to understand why processing times are much slower than EMR especially Databricks has got much optimized spark and next generation processing engine photon.