Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow SQL queries on an HC cluster

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

I have a high concurrency cluster where multiple users are running. However, I see the queries are running very slow. I did debug the logs and see more time is spent on the Spark driver. on the Spark UI, I do not see slowness.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

It's possible the connectivity to hive metastore is causing the delay here. When there is a high degree of concurrency and contention for metastore access. Interactive clusters in DBR are configured to use up to 5 (spark.databricks.hive.metastore.client.pool.size) hive clients. So if there are more than 5 concurrently running queries that are accessing the hive for a longer time, then there could be slowness.

The easy solution to try is to increase "spark.databricks.hive.metastore.client.pool.size" . Try increasing to 32 and see if there is an improvement.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

User16869510359
Esteemed Contributor

It's possible the connectivity to hive metastore is causing the delay here. When there is a high degree of concurrency and contention for metastore access. Interactive clusters in DBR are configured to use up to 5 (spark.databricks.hive.metastore.client.pool.size) hive clients. So if there are more than 5 concurrently running queries that are accessing the hive for a longer time, then there could be slowness.

The easy solution to try is to increase "spark.databricks.hive.metastore.client.pool.size" . Try increasing to 32 and see if there is an improvement.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.