Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimize and Vacuum - which is the best order of operations?

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Optimize -> Vacuum

or

Vacuum -> Optimize

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I agree with you @Werner Stinckens​ . I will always do optimize to try to compact the files more (default size is 1 gb) and then run vacuum. Vacuum will remove the old files that are no longer needed or have been marked as obsoleted by the optimize command.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

I am asking some questions as nobody is writing today 🙂

Thank you!

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

In my opinion as Vacuum remove old files so is better to do Vacuum first so there will be less files to optimize but maybe in some cases it will be faster to delete optimized already files (so optimize first)

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

I optimize first as delta lake knows which files are relevant for the optimize. Like that I have my optimized data available faster. Then a vacuum. Seemed logical to me, but I might be wrong. Never actually thought about it

I agree with you @Werner Stinckens​ . I will always do optimize to try to compact the files more (default size is 1 gb) and then run vacuum. Vacuum will remove the old files that are no longer needed or have been marked as obsoleted by the optimize command.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.