cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toPandas() causes IndexOutOfBoundsException in Apache Arrow

ivanychev
Contributor

Using DBR 10.0

When calling toPandas() the worker fails with IndexOutOfBoundsException. It seems like ArrowWriter.sizeInBytes (which looks like a proprietary method since I can't find it in OSS) calls arrow's getBufferSizeFor which fails with this error. What is the root cause of this issue?

Here's a sample of the full stack trace:

java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: index: 16384, length: 4 (expected: range(0, 16384))
at org.apache.arrow.memory.ArrowBuf.checkIndexD(ArrowBuf.java:318)
at org.apache.arrow.memory.ArrowBuf.chk(ArrowBuf.java:305)
at org.apache.arrow.memory.ArrowBuf.getInt(ArrowBuf.java:424)
at org.apache.arrow.vector.complex.BaseRepeatedValueVector.getBufferSizeFor(BaseRepeatedValueVector.java:229)
at org.apache.arrow.vector.complex.ListVector.getBufferSizeFor(ListVector.java:621)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.arrow.ArrowFieldWriter.getSizeInBytes(ArrowWriter.scala:165)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.arrow.ArrowWriter.sizeInBytes(ArrowWriter.scala:118)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.arrow.ArrowConverters$$anon$1.$anonfun$next$1(ArrowConverters.scala:224)
at scala.runtime.java8.JFunction0$mcV$sp.apply(JFunction0$mcV$sp.java:23)
at org.apache.spark.util.Utils$.tryWithSafeFinally(Utils.scala:1647)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.arrow.ArrowConverters$$anon$1.next(ArrowConverters.scala:235)
at org.apache.spark.sql.execution.arrow.ArrowConverters$$anon$1.next(ArrowConverters.scala:199)
at scala.collection.Iterator$$anon$10.next(Iterator.scala:461)
at scala.collection.Iterator.foreach(Iterator.scala:943)
at scala.collection.Iterator.foreach$(Iterator.scala:943)

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sergey Ivanychev​ , I think it's trying to return too much data to pandas and overloading the memory. What are you trying to do? You shouldn't need to use pandas much anymore with the 3.2 introduction of pandas API for Spark https://databricks.com/blog/2021/10/04/pandas-api-on-upcoming-apache-spark-3-2.html

I'm feeding the DataFrame to the ML model. The `toPandas()` works perfectly fine with `spark.sql.execution.arrow.pyspark.enabled` set to `false`.

But disabling arrow pipeline by pipeline is far from perfect. The error above doesn't explain a lot and the fail occurs in the proprietary code. At this point I don't know where to look for an error

Weirdly, `getBufferSizeFor` is the cause of the failure. IMO the method with such a name shouldn't cause out of bounds error.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

to_pandas() is only for a small dataset.

Please use instead:

to_pandas_on_spark()

It is essential to use Pandas on Spark instead of ordinary Pandas so that it will work in a distributed way. Here is more info https://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/api/python/user_guide/pandas_on_spark/index.html

So always import Pandas as:

import pyspark.pandas as ps

As I noted, `to_pandas() ` works great with `spark.sql.execution.arrow.pyspark.enabled` set to `false`. I understand that to_pandas_on_spark() is an option, but I need a Pandas DataFrame, not a Pandas-on-Spark DataFrame.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turning arrow off is going to increase your execution time. It might be better to use something like applyinpandas. You might want to adjust the batch size https://spark.apache.org/docs/3.0.0/sql-pyspark-pandas-with-arrow.html#setting-arrow-batch-size

Again, I can't use `applyinpandas` because I need to collect data to feed into an ML model. I need a *Pandas dataframe*.

I have enough memory on my driver (turning off arrow makes the code work).

Anonymous
Not applicable

applyinpandas takes a function argument, which can be an ML model.

We train an ML model, not apply it. We need to fetch a batch of data as Pandas dataframe and feed it into a model for training.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the ml model training is done with a function such as model.fit().

I know that. Is my question not clear?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the similar situation. 

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sergey Ivanychev​  , Just a friendly follow-up. Do you still need help, or @Hubert Dudek (Customer)​ and @Joseph Kambourakis​ 's response help you to find the solution? Please let us know.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Sergey Ivanychev​ , We haven’t heard from you on the last response from me, and I was checking back to see if you found a solution. Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.