Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of Azure DevOps System.AccessToken as PAT in Databricks

arsamkull
New Contributor III

Hi there! I'm trying to use Azure DevOps Pipeline to automate Azure Databricks Repos API. Im using the following workflow:

• Get an Access Token for a Databricks Service Principal using a Certificate (which works great)
  • Usage REST Api to generate Git Credential using System.AccessToken -> Fails with:

personal_access_token cannot be longer than 100 characters

I grabed the System.AccessToken from Azure DevOps and decoded it using JWT.io and it really is valid JWT. JWT will use a lot more than 100 chars, a resonable max char count would be 2048 (mine is 1118).

Is it possible that Databricks limits the PAT's to 100 chars? Are there alternatives for automating "git pull" using a Service Principal?

requests.post(

f"{BASE_URL}/api/2.0/git-credentials",

json={

"git_provider": "azureDevOpsServices",

"git_username": "DataHub Build Service (ORGNAME)",

"personal_access_token": os.environ["SYSTEM_ACCESSTOKEN"],

},

headers=headers,

)

5 REPLIES 5

Soma
Valued Contributor

hi @Adrian Ehrsam​ 

try using databricks rest api to clone the repos

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/databricks/dev-tools/api/latest/repos

and enable file in repos to consume the data as shown in this notebook

https://docs.databricks.com/_static/notebooks/files-in-repos.html

arsamkull
New Contributor III

Well that's what I'm trying todo, but I do not get the authentication working in CI/CD because of the Length of the Access Token of Azure Devops' System.AccessToken. Must say it feels like a bug in Databricks

Fual
New Contributor II

I have the same issue, I want to automate Repos checkout during CI/CD via the rest api. Unfortunately, Azure DevOps doesn't allow Service Principals to pull from a repo and PAT validity is limited to one year max. So using the System.AccessToken would be a nice way to get around these limitations but unfortunately it's limited to 100 chars by Databricks...

DBReposDev
New Contributor II

hey everyone. We will be improving this in the coming week or two, bumping up the limit. Thank you for reporting.

Srihasa_Akepati
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@Adrian Ehrsam​ The PAT limit has been increased to 2048 now. Please check.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.