Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Apache Sedona on Delta Live tables?

NicolasJ
New Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to run some geospatial transformations in Delta Live Table, using Apache Sedona.

I tried defining a minimal example pipeline demonstrating the problem I encounter.

First cell of my Notebook, I install apache-sedona Python package:

%pip install apache-sedona

then I only use SedonaRegistrator.registerAll (to enable geospatial processing in SQL) and return an empty dataframe (that code is not reached anyway):

import dlt
from pyspark.sql import SparkSession
from sedona.register import SedonaRegistrator

@dlt.table(comment="Test temporary table", temporary=True)
def my_temp_table():
    SedonaRegistrator.registerAll(spark)
    return spark.createDataFrame(data=[], schema=StructType([]))

I created the DLT Pipeline leaving everything as default, except for the spark configuration:

imageHere is the uncut value of "spark.jars.packages": "org.apache.sedona:sedona-python-adapter-3.0_2.12:1.2.0-incubating,org.datasyslab:geotools-wrapper:1.1.0-25.2". This is required according to this documentation.

When I run the Pipeline, I get the following error:

py4j.Py4JException: An exception was raised by the Python Proxy. Return Message: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/databricks/spark/python/lib/py4j-0.10.9.1-src.zip/py4j/java_gateway.py", line 2442, in _call_proxy
    return_value = getattr(self.pool[obj_id], method)(*params)
  File "/databricks/spark/python/dlt/helpers.py", line 22, in call
    res = self.func()
  File "<command--1>", line 8, in my_temp_table
  File "/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-0ecd1771-412a-4887-9fc3-44233ebe4058/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sedona/register/geo_registrator.py", line 43, in registerAll
    cls.register(spark)
  File "/local_disk0/.ephemeral_nfs/envs/pythonEnv-0ecd1771-412a-4887-9fc3-44233ebe4058/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sedona/register/geo_registrator.py", line 48, in register
    return spark._jvm.SedonaSQLRegistrator.registerAll(spark._jsparkSession)
TypeError: 'JavaPackage' object is not callable

I can reproduce this error by running spark on my computer and avoiding installing the packages specified in "spark.jars.packages" above.

I guess that this DLT Pipeline is not correctly configured to install Apache Sedona. I could not find any documentation describing how to install Sedona or other packages on a DLT Pipeline.

Does anyone know how/if it is possible to do it?

Have a nice day.

Edit:

What I also tried so far, without success:

• using an init script -> not supported in DLT
  • using a jar library -> not supported in DLT
  • using a maven library -> not supported in DLT

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nicolas Jean​ , Unfortunately, installing the third-pa/rty Java libraries is not yet supported for the Delta Live Tables, so you can't use Sedona with DLT right now.

But suppose you're interested in the geospatial things on Databricks.

You may look onto the recently released project Mosaic (blog with announcement) that supports many of the "standard" geospatial functions but is heavily optimized for Databricks and works with Delta Live Tables.

Here is an example of a DLT pipeline adopted from the quickstart guide that uses functions like st_contains, etc.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Nicolas Jean​ , Unfortunately, installing the third-pa/rty Java libraries is not yet supported for the Delta Live Tables, so you can't use Sedona with DLT right now.

But suppose you're interested in the geospatial things on Databricks.

You may look onto the recently released project Mosaic (blog with announcement) that supports many of the "standard" geospatial functions but is heavily optimized for Databricks and works with Delta Live Tables.

Here is an example of a DLT pipeline adopted from the quickstart guide that uses functions like st_contains, etc.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.