Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple streaming sources to the same delta table

hari
Contributor

Is it possible to have two streaming sources doing Merge into the same delta table with each source setting a different set of fields?

We are trying to create a single table which will be used by the service layer for queries. The table can be populated from multiple source tables each contributing a set of fields to the sink schema.

Sample query for the scenario:

MERGE INTO sink
   USING source_a
   ON source_a.id = sink.id
   WHEN MATCHED THEN
     UPDATE SET
       id = source_a.id,
       summary = source_a.summary,
       description = source_a.description,
       customerId = source_a.customerId
   WHEN NOT MATCHED
  THEN INSERT (
    id,
    summary,
    description,
    customerId
  )
  VALUES (
    source_a.id,
    source_a.summary,
    source_a.description,
    source_a.customerId
  )
MERGE INTO sink
   USING source_b
   ON source_b.customer.id = sink.customerId
   WHEN MATCHED THEN
     UPDATE SET
       customerId = source_b.customerId,
       customerName = source_b.customerName,
       customerIndustry = source_b.customerIndustry

I am new to streaming and was wondering whether there is some way to implement this using streaming queries. Currently seeing out of order issues when merging the data to the sink, But is there something which can be done to go around the problem.

4 REPLIES 4

Zachary_Higgins
Contributor

Not sure about your partitioning schema, but be careful, as you can run into issues with concurrent updates to the same partition. Concurrency control | Databricks on AWS. In this case, I usually set the trigger to run once, running each merge update synchronously, and putting the job on a schedule.

What kind of "out of order" issues are you seeing?

hari
Contributor

Hi @Zachary Higgins​ 

Thanks for the reply

Currently, we are also using Trigger.once so that we can handle the merge stream dependencies properly. But was wondering whether we can scale our pipeline to be streaming by changing the Trigger duration in the future

Thanks for the heads up regarding Concurrency, I was assuming a Pessimistic concurrency control where delta would handle concurrent writes to the same partition without exceptions or data corruption.

I don't think we can support full streaming pipelines if there can be concurrency issues

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Zachary Higgins​ ​, We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Harikrishnan P H​ , and I was checking back to see if you have a resolution. If you have any solution, please do share the same with the community as it can be helpful to others. Otherwise, we will respond with more details and try to help.

Shourya
New Contributor III

Hi @Kaniz Fatma​ 

I'm looking for a similar use case where we have MULTIPLE SOURCE TABLES IN BRONZE/Silver and would need to push data into the same TARGET TABLE. We have adopted a Data Vault as our data Model for Silver. If you could provide some documentation or URL that would be great.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.