Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to avoid using EBS drives on workers with local NVMe SSD?

ivanychev
Contributor

The Databricks on AWS docs claim that 30G + 150G EBS drives are mounter to every node by default. But if I use instance type like r5d.2xlarge, it already has local disk so I want to avoid mounting the 150G EBS drive to it. Is there a way to do it?

We usually use instance pools for our jobs, and I tried to create one with disk_spec.disk_count = 0, but it didn't work. The 150G has still been mounted to the machine.

2 REPLIES 2

pabloanzorenac
New Contributor II

Hey Ivan, did you find a way to do this?

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ivanychevBased on the provided information, if you want to avoid mounting the 150G EBS drive to a node with the local disk, you can set ebs_volume_count it to 0 in the Clusters API when creating the cluster. Another option could be manually detaching the EBS volume from the instance after creating the cluster.

You can do this by following these steps:

1. Go to the EC2 console in the AWS Management Console.
2. Find the instance that the EBS volume is attached.
3. Select the EBS volume that you want to detach.
4. Choose Actions, and then choose Detach Volume.
5. Confirm that you want to detach the volume.

Please note that detaching the EBS volume may cause data loss if any data is stored on the volume. Therefore, it is recommended to take a data backup before detaching the volume.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.