Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Catalog - Metastore is it at account or workspace

SanjayJanardhan
New Contributor III

I was trying to understand Unity Catalog, if metastore is at the account level or the each workspace in the account will have there own metastore?

My understanding is the metastore cant be shared between two workspace.

4 REPLIES 4

labtech
Valued Contributor II

yes you're right, metastore can be shared between workspace and it is an isolated for example the first time when we create a workspace with Aws (because i familiar with it) an default hive metastore will be created. And later then we can create a new metastore and can connect that metastore to exist workspace so now we have two metastore for using​ purpose.

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, as @Gam Nguyen​ said. Additionally, the Unity catalog is regional so you can have 1 per region.

bergmaal
New Contributor III

The whole point of Unity Catalog is that you can share it between workspaces. It sits at the account level, and you assign workspaces to it from the Account Console (or script assignment through Terraform or similar technologies).

The beauty of Unity Catalog is that you can share the same data between workspaces hassle free, and you can secure the objects (catalogs, schemas, tables, etc) which means you will have 1 place to do governance, instead of having to replicate it for each individual workspace (like you'd have to do if using the classic hive_metastore). This means that if you write data to a UC table from workspace1, it will immediatly be visible in workspace2, and vice versa.

Unity Catalog metastore also uses a data lake for default storage, which you create and control in you cloud provider. This means you have way more flexibility in setting up security on the storage, which you don't have if you are using hive. Hive uses dbfs, which is not secure by any means, and should not be used for storing sensitive data.

Aviral-Bhardwaj
Esteemed Contributor III

@Sanjay Janardhan​ , no i have done this, you can share it in multiple workspaces

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.