cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugs with text query parameters?

desert_safari
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have query with a handful of text query parameters, I need to use to insert data into a table from a dashboard e.g.

INSERT INTO user_data (first_name, middle_name, last_name, city, country, zip_code) VALUES ('{{first_name}}', '{{middle_name}}', '{{last_name}}', '{{city}}', '{{country}}', '{{zip_code}}')

I am having all sorts of issues with running the query.

Firstly, the 'middle_name' parameter is optional and can be empty. Databricks returns a 'Missing value for middle_name' if this is empty. It just would not run the query. I was expecting the parameter value to come as NULL or as an empty string.

Second issue, Databricks is appending additional quote marks around the value for the last_name parameter. For example, if I enter Smith in that field the query fails because it looks like below. I get an error about 'Smith':

INSERT INTO user_data (first_name, middle_name, last_name, city, country, zip_code) VALUES ('John', 'X', ''Smith'', 'Cyberia', 'Internet', '999999')

I've had to remove the quote around the last_name parameter just to get the query working, so it now looks like this:

INSERT INTO user_data (first_name, middle_name, last_name, city, country, zip_code) VALUES ('{{first_name}}', '{{middle_name}}', {{last_name}}, '{{city}}', '{{country}}', '{{zip_code}}')

Both issues make it tricky to hand dashboards over to users who are keen to use the product. The second issue is more worrying. The backend seems to have picked a field at random to append extra quotation marks to.

Any help or work-around for both issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, what if , if you use only first name and last name, eliminating the middle name? Also, please refer to https://docs.databricks.com/sql/language-manual/sql-ref-syntax-dml-insert-into.html.

desert_safari
New Contributor II

Sorry my client wants all 3 fields. The middle name has to be there.

There are a few cases where people have just one name.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.