Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppendDataExecV1 Taking a lot of time

alejandrofm
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have a Pyspark job that takes about an hour to complete, when looking at the SQL tab on Spark UI I see this:

imageThose processes run for more than 1 minute on a 60-minute process.

This is Ganglia for that period (the last snapshot, will look into a live run for the last part)imageI enter via spark UI to task 18 on SQL and this is what I see:

And the details, fields, and database names were replaced by placeholders or "..." for compliance purposes

== Physical Plan ==
AppendDataExecV1 (1)

(1) AppendDataExecV1
Arguments: [num_affected_rows#1348L, num_inserted_rows#1349L], DeltaTableV2(org.apache.spark.sql.SparkSession@7ecdf898,dbfs:/mnt/eterlake/...../...,Some(CatalogTable(
Database: database
Table: table
Owner: (Basic token.....
Created Time: Sat Jul 13 16:06:20 UTC 2019
Last Access: UNKNOWN
Created By: Spark 2.4.0
Type: EXTERNAL
Provider: DELTA
Table Properties: [delta.lastCommitTimestamp=1662525805000, delta.lastUpdateVersion=8134, delta.minReaderVersion=1, delta.minWriterVersion=2]
Statistics: 0 bytes, 6260684735 rows
Serde Library: org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe
InputFormat: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.SequenceFileInputFormat
OutputFormat: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveSequenceFileOutputFormat
Schema: root
)),Some(spark_catalog.......),None,Map(),org.apache.spark.sql.util.CaseInsensitiveStringMap@1f), Project [... 26 more fields], org.apache.spark.sql.execution.datasources.v2.DataSourceV2Strategy$$Lambda$8007/1446072698@7a714f29, com.databricks.sql.transaction.tahoe.catalog.WriteIntoDeltaBuilder$$anon$1@1df0da7e

Do you see something that could be improved here?

Thanks!!!

4 REPLIES 4

daniel_sahal
Esteemed Contributor

@Alejandro Martinez​ 

I would recommend you to go through this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daXEp4HmS-E

Especially look through partitions, data skew, spills.

Also IMO the utilization (avg load) should be around 70%. Try to optimize your workload a little bit.

Will look into that! thanks, really is a very simple process, the regex seems to be what is taking more time, that and the AppendDataExecV1. This is the other task that takes 38 minutes. The logic of the regex is this

dataframe = self.spark.read \

.text(source_files_path) \

.withColumn('source_file', source_file_derivation)

where source_file_derivation is:

source_file_derivation = regexp_replace(reverse(split(reverse(input_file_name()), '/')[0]), '%23', '#')

To add the filename on a column of the data frame (we read multiple files).

Thanks!

Debayan
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

When you say it is taking a lot of time, was there a situation where this was running earlier than the time taking now?

Also, approximately how much amount of data is getting processes with this JOB?

Is it consistently taking this much time?

Could you also please confirm about the cluster configuration (also the DBR version?) this is running on?

Also please tag @Debayan​ with your next response which will notify me, Thank you!

Vartika

Hi @Alejandro Martinez​ 

Hope all is well!

Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.