cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many workspaces should we have?

StephanieRivera
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II
There is a default limitation for workspace numbers in a Databricks account, which is 50 for an enterprise account: https://docs.databricks.com/en/resources/limits.html

What is the best practice if we need more than 50 workspaces? Will we need more accounts? 

Should we consider having more accounts from the start with some boundaries like sandbox/staging/production?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

if you need more than 50 workspaces, I would seriously consider handling that with Infrastructure-as-Code.
You could open multiple accounts (perhaps over regions) and deploy workspaces accordingly.
Having a dev/qas/prod split is a good idea, but beware that Unity has a limit of a single Unity Catalog per region, so an actual physical split is not possible (it can be achieved using permissions though, but that is not a hard split).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-werners-
Esteemed Contributor III

if you need more than 50 workspaces, I would seriously consider handling that with Infrastructure-as-Code.
You could open multiple accounts (perhaps over regions) and deploy workspaces accordingly.
Having a dev/qas/prod split is a good idea, but beware that Unity has a limit of a single Unity Catalog per region, so an actual physical split is not possible (it can be achieved using permissions though, but that is not a hard split).

StephanieRivera
Valued Contributor II
Valued Contributor II

Thank you for your response @-werners- , I should have been clear. I cannot edit my post. I am going to make a new one.

https://community.databricks.com/t5/administration-architecture/what-is-best-practice-for-determinin...

Raluka
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for helping me. I didn't even expect it.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.