cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Error at model serving for quantised models using bitsandbytes library

phi_alpaca
New Contributor III

Hello,

I've been trying to serve registered MLflow models at GPU Model Serving Endpoint, which works except for the models using bitsandbytes library. The library is used to quantise the LLM models into 4-bit/ 8-bit (e.g. Mistral-7B), however, it runs into error while registering at endpoint. This error is shown in the service log:

phi_alpaca_1-1708013174746.png

All libraries needed are registered in the requirements.txt files, it looks like one option to fix the error is to run a bash script to help it locate the right path of the package, but we're not able to do so at serving endpoint.

Has anyone successfully served a quantised LLM model at Databricks model serving using bitsandbytes? If so, how do you get around it? Any help on the topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @phi_alpacaServing quantized LLM (Large Language Models) using Databricks Model Serving can be a powerful way to optimize performance and reduce latency.

Letโ€™s explore some options:

1. Databricks Model Serving with GPU and LLM Optimization:

2. Quantized LLMs with bitsandbytes:

3. Troubleshooting the Error:

• If youโ€™re encountering an error while registering the model at the serving endpoint, consider the following steps:
      • Check Dependencies: Ensure that all required libraries (including bitsandbytes) are correctly registered in the requirements.txt file.
      • Path Issues: If the error is related to locating the package path, consider whether the serving environment has the necessary paths set up. Unfortunately, running a bash script directly at the serving endpoint might not be feasible.
      • Model Registration: Double-check the model registration process. Sometimes issues arise during model logging or deployment.
      • Logs and Debugging: Review the service logs for more specific error messages. Debugging logs can provide insights into the root cause.
      • Community Support: Reach out to the Databricks community or forums. Others who have encountered similar issues might have valuable insights or workarounds.

G-M
Contributor

Hi @phi_alpaca , we are facing exactly the same issue trying to serve a bitsandbytes quantized version of Mixtral-8x7B . Did you have any progress resolving this? The answer from @Kaniz isn't too helpful and seems to be AI-generated...

As you say, the deployed container is such a black box that we can't take the diagnostic steps listed in the error output.

phi_alpaca
New Contributor III

Hey @G-M , thanks for sharing your experience as well. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck on my end for resolving this. Would be interested to know if you have any breakthrough down the line. Is it something Databricks might be able to put a small fix in please? @Kaniz 
Thanks

JAgreenskylake
New Contributor II

Hi, @phi_alpaca have you managed to solve this? We have a similar issue.. 

Hey @JAgreenskylake , no luck so far. I have been working around it by not using quantised models, which is not ideal, so really hope it's possible to do that soon.

G-M
Contributor

@phi_alpaca

We have solved it by providing a conda_env.yaml when we log the model, all we needed was to add cudatoolkit=11.8 to the dependencies. 

phi_alpaca
New Contributor III

Thanks so much for sharing and glad it worked out for you guys!
I will have a go and feed back.

phi_alpaca
New Contributor III

I seem to have some compatibility issues with cudatoolkit=11.8, would it be possible for you share what versions you use for torch, transformers, accelerate, and bitsandbytes? Thanks!

These versions are working for us:

torch==1.13.1
transformers==4.35.2
accelerate==0.25.0
bitsandbytes==0.41.3

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.