Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Engineering with Databricks V2 or V3 for qualification in a few months time

VVill_T
Contributor

If I am new to Databricks and is aiming to get qualification some point Dec2022 or Jan 2023, should I be studying the material Data Engineering with Databricks V2 or V3?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DavideAnghileri
Contributor

Citing the Databricks documentation:

> Note: Please note that this course, Data Engineering with Databricks (V3), was

released on October 14, 2022 and is the latest version of the Data Engineering with

Databricks course. This course will teach you the latest best practices for data

engineering with Databricks. This course will also help you prepare for the Databricks

Certified Data Engineer Associate V3 exam, which is currently being developed for a

November 19, 2022 release.

It seems that the new Certification starts today.

Personally I would study directly with v3 since I don't see added value in studying old Databricks versions.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

youssefmrini
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

You can start studying the V2 and later take the course again to see what has been added.

VVill_T
Contributor

Thanks, in terms of exam though, when will the exam be based on V3?

Work wise, I would endeavor to utilize the best and latest from Databricks of course 🙂

DavideAnghileri
Contributor

Citing the Databricks documentation:

> Note: Please note that this course, Data Engineering with Databricks (V3), was

released on October 14, 2022 and is the latest version of the Data Engineering with

Databricks course. This course will teach you the latest best practices for data

engineering with Databricks. This course will also help you prepare for the Databricks

Certified Data Engineer Associate V3 exam, which is currently being developed for a

November 19, 2022 release.

It seems that the new Certification starts today.

Personally I would study directly with v3 since I don't see added value in studying old Databricks versions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you should on V3 for the exam. If you have time, maybe take a look on V2 as optional.

j_afanador
Contributor II

I suggest taking both, v2 has more in-depth content, while v3 has inconsistent info (Currently in beta) but has new features.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will approach V3 as they are the content for the new Data Engineer Associate exam released in 19 Nov but like you said, if anything not making sense or need to be more in-depth I will go back to the stable version V2

I agree as V3 has a lot more info on Unity Catalog, which IMHO is a niche product and may not be that useful to everyone. V2 has more core Databricks content that is more useful to a Data Engineer.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @William Tong​, We haven’t heard from you on the last response from @Juan Afanador​, @Jensen Ackles​, @Youssef Mrini​ and @davide.anghileri davide.anghileri​ ​, and I was checking back to see if their suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Thanks and good to have perspectives 🙂

NhatHoang
Valued Contributor II

In my opinion, V3 is the best choice. You can get the latest content when compare with V2.

Good luck with your exam. 🙂

Thanks for sharing:) Have to say I am liking this community!

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @William Tong​, Grateful to hear that you like the Databricks Community. Thank you!

Devarsh
Contributor

I would suggest to go for V3 because the course Data Engineering with Databricks (V3) is the latest version as of now and was released on 14th October 2022. So, this version would have more topics in comparison to V2.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.