Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Databricks Runtime 13.3 - can I use Databricks Connect without Unity Catalog?

VovaVili
New Contributor

Hello all,

The official documentation for Databricks Connect states that, for Databricks Runtime versions 13.0 and above, my cluster needs to have Unity Catalog enabled for me to use Databricks Connect, and use a Databricks cluster through an IDE like PyCharm. However, the situation I have at hand is the following - my cluster uses Databricks Runtime 13.3, Python 3.10.12, and it does not have Unity Catalog enabled. This sort of configuration will not change in the nearby future, so I am kind of stuck.

Is there still any way for me to use Databricks Connect with the cards I was dealt? Or am I screwed? I miss my IDE a lot, developing through the browser is a total pain for me, I hate it with passion. 

2 REPLIES 2

arpit
Contributor III
Contributor III

@VovaVili Databricks Connect version 0.205.0 only supports DBR 13.x

mohaimen_syed
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm currently using Databricks Connect without the Unity Catalog on VS Code. Although I have connected the Unity Catalog separately on multiple occasion I don't thing its required.
Here is the doc:
https://docs.databricks.com/en/dev-tools/databricks-connect/python/vscode.html

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.