cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can I Learn Databricks Data Pipeline in Azure environment?

kazinahian
New Contributor III

Hello Esteemed Community,

I have a fundamental question to ask, and I approach it with a sense of humility. Your guidance in my learning journey would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to learn how to build a hands-on data pipeline within the Databricks Community Edition or any other cost-effective(less expensive) platform. I am hesitant to register with a credit card, as I am unfamiliar with the billing process. I am unsure whether Azure would incur charges if I were to run a workflow on their platform. Your compassionate advice on this matter is highly valued.

Thank you, Respected Community Members.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Palash01
Valued Contributor

Hey @kazinahian 

I completely understand your hesitation and appreciate your approach to seeking guidance! Embarking on a learning journey can be daunting, especially when financial considerations are involved. I'm happy to offer some advice on building a hands-on data pipeline with cost-effective options:

Platforms for Learning Data Pipelines:

• Databricks Community Edition: This is a fantastic starting point! It offers a limited runtime environment for exploring notebooks and running short jobs, perfect for learning the basics.
  • A few other options could be - Google Colab, Kaggle Kernels, or Local Development

Building a Data Pipeline within Databricks Community Edition:

• Follow tutorials and sample notebooks: Databricks provides numerous resources to guide you through building your first data pipeline. Start with introductory tutorials and progress to more complex examples as you gain confidence. (https://docs.databricks.com/en/getting-started/data-pipeline-get-started.html)
  • Utilize sample datasets: The platform offers free access to sample datasets, allowing you to practice without needing your own data.
  • Focus on core concepts: While free resources might have limitations, they're excellent for learning fundamental data pipeline concepts like data ingestion, transformation, and loading.

Addressing Your Concerns:

• Azure Free Account: You can create a free Azure account with $200 credit, which should suffice for basic learning on their data services like Synapse Analytics or Databricks. However, monitor usage to avoid exceeding free limits.
  • PRO TIP: Always shut off your running clusters/jobs remember it is a pay-per-use business so you'll only be charged if you use any of their services. 

Leave a like if this helps, followups are appreciated.

Leave a like if this helps! Kudos,
Palash

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Palash01
Valued Contributor

Hey @kazinahian 

I completely understand your hesitation and appreciate your approach to seeking guidance! Embarking on a learning journey can be daunting, especially when financial considerations are involved. I'm happy to offer some advice on building a hands-on data pipeline with cost-effective options:

Platforms for Learning Data Pipelines:

• Databricks Community Edition: This is a fantastic starting point! It offers a limited runtime environment for exploring notebooks and running short jobs, perfect for learning the basics.
  • A few other options could be - Google Colab, Kaggle Kernels, or Local Development

Building a Data Pipeline within Databricks Community Edition:

• Follow tutorials and sample notebooks: Databricks provides numerous resources to guide you through building your first data pipeline. Start with introductory tutorials and progress to more complex examples as you gain confidence. (https://docs.databricks.com/en/getting-started/data-pipeline-get-started.html)
  • Utilize sample datasets: The platform offers free access to sample datasets, allowing you to practice without needing your own data.
  • Focus on core concepts: While free resources might have limitations, they're excellent for learning fundamental data pipeline concepts like data ingestion, transformation, and loading.

Addressing Your Concerns:

• Azure Free Account: You can create a free Azure account with $200 credit, which should suffice for basic learning on their data services like Synapse Analytics or Databricks. However, monitor usage to avoid exceeding free limits.
  • PRO TIP: Always shut off your running clusters/jobs remember it is a pay-per-use business so you'll only be charged if you use any of their services. 

Leave a like if this helps, followups are appreciated.

Leave a like if this helps! Kudos,
Palash

kazinahian
New Contributor III

@Palash01 Appreciate your help. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you. 

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group