Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I Learn Databricks Data Pipeline in Azure environment?

kazinahian
New Contributor III

Hello Esteemed Community,

I have a fundamental question to ask, and I approach it with a sense of humility. Your guidance in my learning journey would be greatly appreciated. I am eager to learn how to build a hands-on data pipeline within the Databricks Community Edition or any other cost-effective(less expensive) platform. I am hesitant to register with a credit card, as I am unfamiliar with the billing process. I am unsure whether Azure would incur charges if I were to run a workflow on their platform. Your compassionate advice on this matter is highly valued.

Thank you, Respected Community Members.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Palash01
Contributor III

Hey @kazinahian 

I completely understand your hesitation and appreciate your approach to seeking guidance! Embarking on a learning journey can be daunting, especially when financial considerations are involved. I'm happy to offer some advice on building a hands-on data pipeline with cost-effective options:

Platforms for Learning Data Pipelines:

• Databricks Community Edition: This is a fantastic starting point! It offers a limited runtime environment for exploring notebooks and running short jobs, perfect for learning the basics.
  • A few other options could be - Google Colab, Kaggle Kernels, or Local Development

Building a Data Pipeline within Databricks Community Edition:

• Follow tutorials and sample notebooks: Databricks provides numerous resources to guide you through building your first data pipeline. Start with introductory tutorials and progress to more complex examples as you gain confidence. (https://docs.databricks.com/en/getting-started/data-pipeline-get-started.html)
  • Utilize sample datasets: The platform offers free access to sample datasets, allowing you to practice without needing your own data.
  • Focus on core concepts: While free resources might have limitations, they're excellent for learning fundamental data pipeline concepts like data ingestion, transformation, and loading.

Addressing Your Concerns:

• Azure Free Account: You can create a free Azure account with $200 credit, which should suffice for basic learning on their data services like Synapse Analytics or Databricks. However, monitor usage to avoid exceeding free limits.
  • PRO TIP: Always shut off your running clusters/jobs remember it is a pay-per-use business so you'll only be charged if you use any of their services. 

Leave a like if this helps, followups are appreciated.

Leave a like if this helps! Kudos,
Palash

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Palash01
Contributor III

Hey @kazinahian 

I completely understand your hesitation and appreciate your approach to seeking guidance! Embarking on a learning journey can be daunting, especially when financial considerations are involved. I'm happy to offer some advice on building a hands-on data pipeline with cost-effective options:

Platforms for Learning Data Pipelines:

• Databricks Community Edition: This is a fantastic starting point! It offers a limited runtime environment for exploring notebooks and running short jobs, perfect for learning the basics.
  • A few other options could be - Google Colab, Kaggle Kernels, or Local Development

Building a Data Pipeline within Databricks Community Edition:

• Follow tutorials and sample notebooks: Databricks provides numerous resources to guide you through building your first data pipeline. Start with introductory tutorials and progress to more complex examples as you gain confidence. (https://docs.databricks.com/en/getting-started/data-pipeline-get-started.html)
  • Utilize sample datasets: The platform offers free access to sample datasets, allowing you to practice without needing your own data.
  • Focus on core concepts: While free resources might have limitations, they're excellent for learning fundamental data pipeline concepts like data ingestion, transformation, and loading.

Addressing Your Concerns:

• Azure Free Account: You can create a free Azure account with $200 credit, which should suffice for basic learning on their data services like Synapse Analytics or Databricks. However, monitor usage to avoid exceeding free limits.
  • PRO TIP: Always shut off your running clusters/jobs remember it is a pay-per-use business so you'll only be charged if you use any of their services. 

Leave a like if this helps, followups are appreciated.

Leave a like if this helps! Kudos,
Palash

kazinahian
New Contributor III

@Palash01 Appreciate your help. 🙂 Thank you. 

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

That’s a great tip! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with the community. I’m sure many people will find it helpful. Keep up the good work! 😊

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.