Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I clone a repo in Community Edition?

al_joe
Contributor

The e-learning videos on DBacademy say we should click on "Repos" and "Add Repo"

I cannot find this in my Community Edition UI

I am a little frustrated that there are so many different versions of the UI and many videos show UI options that we cannot find when we try do do the same thing ourselves. I wish the learning curve was not steep for such trivial reasons.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Al Jo​ the community edition has limited access. To get all the features you should atleast have a trial version of Databricks.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi @Al Jo​ the community edition has limited access. To get all the features you should atleast have a trial version of Databricks.

Thanks. Is this a new restriction?

Is there a way learners can get hands-on experience on most of Databricks functionality -- and follow the Databricks Academy course material 9which ask us to clone a repo as in example below) -- without incurring charges?

----

Data Engineering with Databricks

https://github.com/databricks-academy/data-engineering-with-databricks

Prabakar
Esteemed Contributor III
Esteemed Contributor III

hi @Al Jo​ ​ we understand your interest in learning Databricks. However, the community edition is limited in features. Certain features are available only in the paid version. If you are interested, to use the full features, then I would suggest you go with the full version. You can Sign up for a free trial account and try using the full features of Databricks for 14 days.

https://docs.databricks.com/getting-started/try-databricks.html

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Al Jo​​, We haven't heard from you on the last response from @Prabakar Ammeappin​.

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

ofwdatabricks
New Contributor II

Hi @Al Jo​, I had this same problem.

My solution: in the provided course files, there is a '.dbc' file. If you download this, then manually import it into your Workspace in the Databricks Community Edition, it should compile the course repo for you.

Hope this helps!

Psybelo
New Contributor II

Hello, just import the .dbc file direct into your user workspace, as explained by Databricks here:

https://www.databricks.training/step-by-step/importing-courseware-from-github/

The simplest way 😎

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.