Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I pass arguments/variables from widgets to notebooks?

lshar
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am looking for a solution to this problem, which is known since 7 years: https://community.databricks.com/s/question/0D53f00001HKHZfCAP/how-do-i-pass-argumentsvariables-to-n...

What I need is to parametrize my notebooks using widget information. The parameters from the widgets should be passed to a %run of another notebook where all of the use case specific configurations are written.

Hence, I need solution to this problem, where the variable "john" is defined by a widget input.

----Cell1------------------------

john = 10

-----Cell2--------------------

%run path/to/NotebookB $VarA = john

submits "john" to NotebookB not the value of 10

I have found a workaround for this, hovewer the workaround is also having a problem.

Here is an example. As you can see in cmd 6 when I run the notebook with "%run" and a value the notebook is loaded.

In cmd5 I have tried the same, but inside an if-statement, which is failing with the explanation, that the file is missing. However, it is obvious, that the file exists.

example_if_run 

Is anyone having the same issue and knows how to implement this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That is a great option to use notebook workflows. I don't think you can pass a variable into the %run commands. It needs to be a literal string.

%run typically cannot access variables/objects from different languages.

One thing to point out is that this method executes in a different session from the parent notebook. %run executes within the same session as the parent notebook.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hubert-Dudek
Esteemed Contributor III

Can't you just use dbutils?

args = {}
args["VarA"] = dbutils.widgets.get("john")
dbutils.notebook.run("NotebookB", timeout=180, args)

That is a great option to use notebook workflows. I don't think you can pass a variable into the %run commands. It needs to be a literal string.

%run typically cannot access variables/objects from different languages.

One thing to point out is that this method executes in a different session from the parent notebook. %run executes within the same session as the parent notebook.

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @lshar​ , Did you try the code suggested by @Hubert Dudek​ ?

lshar
New Contributor III

@Hubert Dudek​ @Kaniz Fatma​ 

When I use the dbutils.notebook.run(..) a new cluster is started, hence I can run some other code, but cannot use variable and functions as if I have just run them directly in the same notebook. Hence, my goal is not met.

I want to run a function and use parameters from the notebook that is in the dbutils.notebook.run(), but this is not possible because of running with new cluster.

Ryan_Chynoweth
Honored Contributor III

Ishar, the dbutils.notebook.run() function is used to execute another notebook in a different session on the same cluster. Since the child notebook has a different session the variables, functions, parameters, classes, etc. are not available in the parent notebook.

If you wish to import a function from another notebook I would recommend using the %run functionality as that would execute the child notebook in the same session as the parent notebook.

To achieve your goal please use %run.

Additionally, if you are using python I would also look into our Python Import functionality that is available in Repos.

lshar
New Contributor III

Yes, exactly. This is what I am saying.

I use %run, however I want to pass a parameter, which is selected from the user (or given in a scheduled run) to have different configuration from the notebook, that I am running (example: I want two pass the parameter "female" and load other parameters and functions from the notebook, that I am running with %run, than if I pass "male")

Now the issue is with this parameter as I have already described in the first comment: I pass subtype, but when it is a parameter with value from a widget it is not working.

Got it. So the only way to "pass a parameter" with %run is to define it as a variable in the parent notebook and use that variable in the child notebook. This works because both notebooks are executed in the same session so the variable my_var is available in both notebooks.

Parent Notebook:

my_var = "this is a parameter I want to pass" 

%run ./my_child_notebook

Child Notebook:

print(my_var) 

>> "this is a parameter I want to pass"

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.