Data Engineering
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ingestion Time Clustering on initial load

dvmentalmadess
Valued Contributor

We are migrating our data into Databricks and I was looking at the recommendations for partitioning here: https://docs.databricks.com/tables/partitions.html. This recommends not specifying partitioning and allowing "Ingestion Time Partitioning" (ITP) to optimize data files. However, details on this are slim. It seems like the data should be optimized by some timestamp but at the time of initial load the data all has the same ingest time. The data sources will mainly be change data capture data which will have an `updated_on` or other transaction timestamp that queries will use to get the latest copy of each record. I'd like to take advantage of ITP, but on the initial load it seems like I should indicate a specific column that should be used - like when I would call optimize. Should I just call optimize after my initial load? If I do will that disable ITP for the table? If not, what is the recommendation?

3 REPLIES 3

Oliver_Angelil
Valued Contributor II

@dvmentalmadess did you get anywhere with this? I'm having the same questions... 

Feel free to reach out to me on linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/oliver-angelil/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dvmentalmadess 

Hope all is well! Just wanted to check in if you were able to resolve your issue and would you be happy to share the solution or mark an answer as best? Else please let us know if you need more help. 

We'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Thanks @Anonymous , I have not gotten any answers to this. If you have any information or clarification that would be helpful.

Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.