cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing WSFS_NOTEBOOK_DIR on PYTHONPATH env variable and wrong sys.path

Nath
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have an error on a databricks workspace (production) when trying to import a local module into azure databricks notebook. I work with a Databricks Repos.

I have the message : "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'test.dataset_test'"

When I test on a different databricks workspace (development), I don't have the problem.

The difference is on PYTHONPATH. I don't see WSFS_NOTEBOOK_DIR.

development : /databricks/spark/python:/databricks/spark/python/lib/py4j-0.10.9.1-src.zip:/databricks/jars/spark--driver--driver-spark_3.2_2.12_deploy.jar:/databricks/spark/python:/databricks/jars/spark--maven-trees--ml--10.x--graphframes--org.graphframes--graphframes_2.12--org.graphframes__graphframes_2.12__0.8.2-db1-spark3.2.jar:/databricks/python_shell:/WSFS_NOTEBOOK_DIR

production : /databricks/spark/python:/databricks/spark/python/lib/py4j-0.10.9.1-src.zip:/databricks/jars/spark--driver--driver-spark_3.2_2.12_deploy.jar:/databricks/spark/python:/databricks/jars/spark--maven-trees--ml--10.x--graphframes--org.graphframes--graphframes_2.12--org.graphframes__graphframes_2.12__0.8.2-db1-spark3.2.jar:/databricks/python_shell

The difference is on sys.path

On production databricks workspace, the execution seems to do under the driver.

On Development databricks workspace, the execution does under the path of repo, so import works.

I join the content of my sys.path on the 2 environments.

Do you have any idea why PYTHONPATH and sys.path are not automatically updated on my production workspace even though everything is correct on my development environment? The environment have the same runtime databricks.

Regards,

Nath

0 REPLIES 0
Welcome to Databricks Community: Lets learn, network and celebrate together

Join our fast-growing data practitioner and expert community of 80K+ members, ready to discover, help and collaborate together while making meaningful connections. 

Click here to register and join today! 

Engage in exciting technical discussions, join a group with your peers and meet our Featured Members.