cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Data Engineering
Join discussions on data engineering best practices, architectures, and optimization strategies within the Databricks Community. Exchange insights and solutions with fellow data engineers.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unity Catalog - Storage Account Data Access

Mailendiran
New Contributor II

I was exploring on unity catalog option on Databricks premium workspace.

I understood that i need to create storage account credentials and external connection in workspace.

Later, i can access the cloud data using 'abfss://storage_account_details' .

I was wondering if we can access the data using mount point instead of using full 'abfss:' path.

Please guide me if there is any option to do it in premium workspace.

2 REPLIES 2

Palash01
Valued Contributor

Hey @Mailendiran 

In Databricks, mounting storage to DBFS (Databricks File System) using the `abfss` protocol is a common practice for accessing data stored externally in Azure Blob Storage. While you typically use the full `abfss` path to access data, you can indeed simplify this process by mounting the storage and accessing it via a mount point.

• You can mount the Azure Blob Storage to DBFS using the `dbutils.fs.mount` command.
  • Specify the mount point (a directory in DBFS) and provide the Azure Blob Storage URI.

to do this create a notebook in databricks environment and use the below commands after updating your container name and other required things: 

PYTHON

storage_account_name = "your_storage_account_name"
container_name = "your_container_name"
mount_point = "/mnt/storage"
dbutils.fs.mount(
source = f"abfss://$storage_account_name@{storage_account_name}.dfs.core.windows.net/{container_name}",
mount_point = mount_point,
extra_configs = {"fs.azure.account.key."+storage_account_name+".dfs.core.windows.net":dbutils.secrets.get(scope = "your_scope_name", key = "your_storage_key")})

to access data now you can use: 

data_df = spark.read.csv("/mnt/storage/path_to_your_data.csv")

Hope this helps, thanks for posting. 

Leave a like if this helps! Kudos,
Palash

DouglasMoore
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Databricks strategic direction is to deprecate mount points in favor of Unity Catalog Volumes.
Setup an STORAGE CREDENTIAL and EXTERNAL LOCATION to access and define how to get to your cloud storage account. To access data on the account, define a Table or a Volume (file based access).

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group