Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data Governance
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I delete hive_metastore on a Unity Catalog Workspace?

TonyUK
New Contributor II

Hi, I have a new workspace that was converted to be controlled via Unity Catalog.

There is not data stored here as this is not in use yet, so I wanted to ask if it was safe to remove this without breaking the workspace?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

Rishabh264
Honored Contributor II

Hey @Tony Collins​ what do you mean my deleting hive metastore from unity catalog and why you want to delete hive metastore​ , if you do not want to take a use of hive metastore , you can delete tables from the hive metastore and upgrade your hive metastore tables into unity catalog, simple as that

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Tony Collins​ , If you are looking to migrate your tables from Hive Metastore, you can check this documentation: https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/migrate.html

TonyUK
New Contributor II

Hi, thank you both for your responses.

We are new to Databricks so the workspace(s) we have are empty, no tables/data to worry about!

The workspace did exist before we set up Unity Catalog so these were upgraded.

The reason I asked about deleting the hive_metastore was simply to not confuse users with what appears to be another catalog.

I am sorry if this is a silly question, it might be important that it remains and I just don't understand. I have more or less arrived to Unity Catalog!

Lakshay
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Tony Collins​ , We cannot delete the hive metastore. You have got two options:

1. Migrate the tables from Hive Metastore to Unity Catalog: https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/migrate.html
  2. Use both Hive metastore and Unity catalog together. You can check this document regarding the same: https://docs.databricks.com/data-governance/unity-catalog/hive-metastore.html

Kaniz
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Tony Collins​, We haven't heard from you since the last response from @Lakshay Goel​ ​and @Rishabh Kesarwani​, and I was checking back to see if her suggestions helped you.

Or else, If you have any solution, please share it with the community, as it can be helpful to others. 

Also, Please don't forget to click on the "Select As Best" button whenever the information provided helps resolve your question.

Jeffery
New Contributor II

So I have a similar question to the OP, and is really at the essence of what I think is being asked. Once we have finished migrating all of our schemas/tables from Hive to Unity Catalog, how do we effectively disable hive and prevent users from creating anything in it and enforce that they only use catalogs governed by Unity Catalog?

JasonThomas
New Contributor III

As things gravitate towards Unity Catalog, it would indeed be nice to have the the ability to completely remove Hive from existing setups.