cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Get Started Discussions
Start your journey with Databricks by joining discussions on getting started guides, tutorials, and introductory topics. Connect with beginners and experts alike to kickstart your Databricks experience.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Azure Synapse vs Databricks

Phani1
Valued Contributor II

Hi team,

Could you kindly provide your perspective on the cost and performance comparison between Azure Synapse and Databricks SQL Warehouse/serverless, as well as their respective use cases? Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

mhiltner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey @Phani1 ! 

I have had a few cases where we have seen huge improvement when moving to SQL Serverless. Processes that used to take hours in Synapse went to minutes with Serverless. Unfortunately i don't have cost benchmarks. 

About use cases, Databricks can be used for streaming, while Synapse has no support for Spark Structured Streaming. Also, Synapse's dedicated pool is very different from Databricks Serverless SQL, as DP involves proprietary storage and has no separation of compute and storage. 

What worries me the most about Synapse today is that although it is a great no-code tool, it no longer receives new features, so it is expected to become outdated soon. For example, Synapse does not offer row level security or column masking, nor structured streaming (as mentioned before) and will not get these features as it is in end-of-life. 

Witold
Contributor

Agree with @mhiltner, it doesn't make sense to compare it with Synapse, as it's literally dead. You most likely want to compare it to Fabric instead. Fabric is highly under development, but IMHO it still lacks behind other Data/AI solutions. No catalog layer (like in unity catalog), no Serverless (in Fabric you pay for idle time) or proper AI tooling (although ML Studio is not bad tool) integration. But this might of course change in the next month.

Connect with Databricks Users in Your Area

Join a Regional User Group to connect with local Databricks users. Events will be happening in your city, and you wonโ€™t want to miss the chance to attend and share knowledge.

If there isnโ€™t a group near you, start one and help create a community that brings people together.

Request a New Group